5 Types Of Space Heaters With Their Pros and Cons
There are many types of space heaters on the market. Knowing which will work best for your needs is helpful before you buy. Some space heaters are safer than others, and some are more energy efficient.
I have included the following in deciding which type of space heater is best for your needs.
1. Electric Space Heaters
One of the most popular types of space heaters is an electric model. These are safe, easy to use, and very efficient when heating a room. However, they can be expensive to run and need to be more portable.
In general, electric models don’t have a wide temperature range. They are also much more expensive to operate than other space heaters. If you want to opt for an electric model, please make sure it has a thermostat so that you can adjust the temperature as needed, and look for one with at least an 800-watt output.
- Efficient and safe.
- Easy to use.
- It can be portable or stationary.
- Expensive to operate.
- Not as powerful as other types of space heaters.
- They may not be able to handle large rooms.
2. Convection Space Heaters
Convection heaters are an excellent choice for any room of your house, including those with pets or children. They can be used in rooms with carpeting, furniture, and electronics. You can also use them in rooms with curtains because they do not produce enough heat to ignite anything flammable.
They blow air through a fan, usually located at the top of the unit. This air will then be heated by the element inside of the heater and will circulate throughout your room. The fan will turn off when the room is heated to your desired temperature, so you can leave it on and forget about it. Convection heaters are an excellent option for any room because they provide fast and even heating without moving furniture or open windows.
Convection heaters are the most energy-efficient space heaters and can save you money on your heating bill. They are also much safer than other types of space heaters.
- They are affordable.
- They can be used in every homeroom, even if you have carpeting or furniture.
- They are safer than other types of space heaters.
- They are energy-efficient and will save you money on your heating bill.
- They are quieter than other types of space heaters.
- The only con to a convection heater is that they do not produce as much heat as radiant or infrared models.
Combination heaters have a more powerful wattage than other types, can heat multiple rooms, and can be used as fans or air conditioners. However, they’re also more expensive than other types of space heaters.
Combination space heaters can be used as a heater and air conditioners. They are energy efficient because they use less energy than other space heaters and air conditioners. Combination units are usually found in public buildings such as hospitals, schools, or large office buildings where many people use them at once.
- Energy efficient.
- More powerful wattage than other types.
- More versatile.
- More expensive than other types.
- It can be dangerous in a home with children or pets.
Oil-filled Space Heaters
They are a type of space heater that uses oil to produce heat. They are popular because they do not require electricity and can be used during power outages. The downside is that they are also more dangerous than other types of space heaters due to the risk of fire or explosion from an electrical short circuit.
The most common type of oil-filled space heater is an oil-filled radiator. These heaters are typically rectangular and have fans that pull air through the unit. The air circulates the internal coils, which absorb heat from the oil they contain. The air is pushed back through the heater and out into the room.
Oil-filled space heaters are available in several different sizes, including small radiators that can be used in single rooms and large radiators that can heat an entire home.
- No need for electricity.
- Oil-filled heaters are the most efficient type of space heater.
- They’re also the safest—oil-filled heaters don’t get very hot and don’t generate any sparks.
- It can be used during power outages.
- It can be dangerous in a home with children or pets.
- They can be a bit more expensive than other space heaters.
Micathermic heaters use a thin layer of aluminum that is heated by electricity and then cooled by circulating air. They are more efficient than other types of space heaters, which means they can produce the same amount of heat but use less energy.
The drawback is that micathermic heaters are also more expensive than other space heaters. Some heaters can also be used as fans or humidifiers. The drawback to micathermic space heaters is that they tend to be expensive, large, and bulky.
- Micathermic heaters are more efficient than other space heaters, producing the same heat but using less energy.
- The air circulation feature on these units can help improve your home’s indoor air quality.
- Also more durable and lasts longer than other types of space heaters.
- They tend to be expensive, large, and bulky.
- Less portable than other types of space heaters. They can be challenging to move around and aren’t ideal for small rooms or apartments.
- Micathermic heaters also tend to be more expensive than other space heaters, which may make them cost-prohibitive for some consumers.
It’s a good idea to consider which type of space heater will work best for you before you buy
Before buying a space heater, you must consider your needs and how much money you want to spend on a new heater. If you live in an apartment or condo where the landlord gets cold during the winter, then a small electric space heater may be all that’s needed.
For those living in houses or other large spaces with central heating systems, there are several options for larger heaters that will warm up an entire room or even multiple rooms. The size of your home and budget will also determine whether it makes sense to invest in a portable propane gas tank or stick with electricity as your primary power source for heating your home.
Hopefully, we’ve given you a good idea of the different types of space heaters and how they work.
To ensure which type is best for your needs, we recommend researching or checking out our buying guide!