A basement is an interesting place to spend time with family and friends. But this underground apartment is often subject to humidity and the possibility of mold growing is high. And seriously, if you think about it, the air in the basement can suck big time because there’s simply no fresh air coming in consistently. This explains why it’s important to invest in the best air purifier for basement.
Top Rated Basement Air Purifier
|AeraMax 300 Large Room Air Purifier||•Certified asthma & allergy friendly.|
|SilverOnyx Air Purifier for Large Basement||•True-HEPA H13 charcoal filter. |
•5 LEVELS OF POWERFUL FILTRATION.
•CLEAN AIR IONIZER.
|Pure Enrichment PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier||•WHISPER-QUIET OPERATION.|
•True HEPA filter.
|IQAir [HealthPro Plus Air Purifier] Medical-Grade Air [HyperHEPA Filter]||•HyperHEPA filters. |
•Covers Large room size up to 1,125 sq ft.
While air purifiers of different types and technologies do the same job, I can guarantee you that not all will suit your basement. The best basement apartment purifier is the one that features a 100% True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter that traps tiny particles that creates smells. Because, after all, they are able to remove even the tiniest dust particle, leaving the air around you clean enough for everyone in the basement.
Air Purifier for Basement Reviews
So which air purifier should you choose? Here are a few suggestions that really work well.
Black in color and iconic in design, with a weight of just 5 pounds, SilverOnyx Air Purifier is a well-built option you’d want to consider if you live or operate in a basement. Being 10.5 by 10.5 by 16.5 inches in size, this device takes up the least space possible. But as compact as it is, SilverOnyx is powerful enough to clean air in a room as big as 500 square feet. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
- With a 5-stage filtration system built-in, SilverOnyx purifies air as much as possible to ensure that anyone in the basement breathes quality. It uses a mesh preliminary filter to clear up dust and pet hair, a True HEPA filter to trap small dust particle, activated carbon filter to get rid of odors, and a UV sanitizer to suck up airborne microbes. Add to this the negative ion generator that easily freshens up air and what you get for the price is a purifier that can and will give you the biggest bangs for the bucks.
- One of the best features of this air purifier is the air quality indicator. It’s a rare technology, yet one that’s quite handy. You should see a red light beaming from the device if the quality of the indoor air is terrible. Green if air in the basement is clean.
- Instead of 3 speed settings, this unit has 5. Which means you get more options to freshen up air at a pace suitable for you. Max speed is perfect for cleaning up air fast. Min speed level is a good option if you want the device to run throughout the day or night. If you’re not sure about the speed option to choose, just set it to auto mode.
- It’s a good option for basements because it can cover an area as large as 500 square feet.
- This is the only air purifier that utilizes a 5-stage filtration system to clean indoor air, improving quality in the shortest time so that everyone can breathe quality.
- The air quality indicator, the auto mode system, and the 5 fan speed settings all work together to give you air clean enough to breathe.
- The biggest problem with this device is that it can be extremely loud if you set the fan speed to maximum.
2. AeraMax 300 Large Room Air Purifier -Best Air Purifier for Musty Basement
AeraMax’s 300 appearance won’t blow away your mind. But inside its black and white casing is a purifying system that works perfect. Lightweight and easy to use, with a noise level that isn’t deafening, this life-changing purifier is what you need to bring a completely new atmosphere to your home. It’s the best air purifier for molds, odor, smoke, allergens, and germs. So, if you suspect that any of these could be compromising the quality of air in your basement, this purifier is a more than ideal solution. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
- AeraMax’s 300 purifier has an effective coverage range between 300 and 600 square feet. In essence, you get 100 square feet more than what you’d get from SilverOnyx. Suitable for large basements, AeraMax’s 300 is an ideal alternative to Honeywell Air Genius 5 or Blue Pure 211.
- I recommend this air purifier because of its decent cleaning power. As old fashioned as the outer build looks, this unit cleans air faster than the likes of Levoit LV-PUR131, so you can breathe high quality air sooner than later.
- It may not have a five-stage cleaning system like SilverOnyx. But the four options are already more than enough if you ask me. To start with, the True HEPA filter captures all contaminants, including those as small as 0.3 microns, from pet dander and pollen to dust mites and viruses. The Activated Carbon Filter detects and clears up odors. The Plasmatrue ionizer, which you can switch on/off, helps to clean up airborne pollutant. And then there’s the AeraSafe Antimicrobial Treatment ensures that you never experience an instance of odor, because it prevents the growth of bacteria and fungi known to cause bad smell.
- AeraMax 300 air purifier’s noise level isn’t that bad. It’s between 35 and 55 decibels, which, while not the best level for a unit you’d put in a bedroom, is completely fine for a basement. And it remains in this range even on the highest setting, which is quite a good thing.
- This air purifier has a better room coverage than the SilverOnyx, giving you an extra cover of up to 100 square feet.
- The smart sensor lets you detect the quality of air in your room, allowing you to clean up with ease so everyone indoors can breathe clean, healthy air.
- Some people may find it noisy. And at 12 pounds, I think it might be just too bulky for some people.
- While it’s a good idea that it has a max speed level, it does actually consume a lot of power at this setting.
So you’re on a budget, maybe even a very tight one. And an air purifier is a must-have? No problem, because Pure Enrichment PureZone 3-in-1 is an ideal option that doesn’t break the bank. Available for under $100, this air purifier for a basement apartment is the best alternative to AeraMax 300 and SilverOnyx. Given that it’s flexible, you can use it to clean up just about any kind of dirt, from house odor and pet allergies and asthma to dust and pollen. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
- Granted, Pure Enrichment has invested resources to make this unit as lightweight and functional as possible. It’s 10.8 by 7 by 12.5 inches, which means it’s so compact that it takes up a very small space. Plus, it weighs just 6 lbs, making just a pound heavier than SilverOnyx but still so lightweight that you can easily move it in the basement.
- Pure Enrichment states that this is a 3-in-1 air purifier. But that seems like a typo because, in the real sense, it’s a 4-stage filtration system. The pre-filter, which you should clean after every 30m days, handles large particles that fly in the basement. The True HEPA filter takes care of 99% of small particles, including dust mites, mold spores, and pet dander. The UV-C light, which you can turn on and off, clears bacterial, fungi, and viruses from the atmosphere, making air safe to breathe. Then there’s the activated charcoal, which clears up odor so you don’t have to worry about that misty smell in your basement.
- I should mention that this device has three speeds, each with a different noise level. The lowest speed records a noise level of 30 decibels, 40 decibels on the mid setting, and 50 decibels on the max speed. It’s therefore not noisy.
- Up to this point, PureZone sounds to you like an air purifier that can cut it for you. And it can, but only if your basement doesn’t exceed 180 square feet. In other words, it records the lowest effective coverage area compared to the options we’ve already reviewed.
- It includes a sleep mode, which automatically switches to the lowest speed setting at night so you can easily clean air at night while you sleep.
- This unit even has a built-in timer, which allows you to determine how long you’d like the machine to work. There are only three-time intervals, though: 2, 4, and 8 hours.
- This air purifier has a filter replacement indicator that lets you know when the right time to replace the filter is.
- This can cover only 180 square feet. For people with large basements, this is definitely a deal breaker.
IQAir HealthPro Plus is one of the best air purifier for large basement, mostly because of its insanely huge coverage area. Built to use the lowest amount of power possible even at its highest speed setting, this unit is a great deal if you also want to save on power consumption. That’s not all. It’s also quite effective in freshening air thoroughly, taking the first spot globally for being a top rated option for allergens and asthma. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
As if that’s not even enough, IQAir Health Pro plus has the ability to detect tobacco smoke, which is something many air purifiers simply can’t manage to do. As effective as it is, though, this product is insanely expensive and may not be the best option to consider if you’re on a budget.
You might be interested Air Purifiers for VOCs and Formaldehyde
- With a dimension of 16 by 15 by 28 inches, this unit does pack some size. With size comes weight. And in the case of this model, what you take home is a 35 pounds unit, which, if I’m not wrong, means you may need a helping hand to station it in your basement. The caster wheels are perfect as they help with movement. But if you’re going to want to lift this, then prepare for some bit of a hassle.
- One of the things I love about this air purifier is the effective coverage area. Standing at 1125 square feet, this unit covers a wider area than the options we’ve already looked at. So, if you live in an apartment with a large basement, you’ll find this device quite effective in purifying air.
- IQAir HealthPro Plus utilizes a 4-stage filtration system to clean and freshen up the air in your basement so you and your loved ones and visitors can breathe clean, healthy air. The HEPA filter gets rid of even the tiniest dust particles in the area. Its PreMax Prefilter, which you should replace every 18 months, cleans up large dust particles. The activated charcoal gets rid of odor. And the V-5 Gas and Odor Filter detect and clean up chemicals.
See also salon air purifier
- You will love this air purifier because it isn’t so loud. In fact, out of the 6 speed settings that it has, expect the first three to be almost completely silent.
- It covers a very large area, making it an ideal option for basements that are large. Plus, it works really well, cleaning up air in as a short time as 24 hours.
- The filter change indicator lets you know when to replace the filters.
- Purifying air in a larger basement is a good thing. At the very least, you get a wider area covered, giving everyone who spends time in the space the opportunity to breathe high quality air. But it comes at a cost. You’ll have to replace the filter more often than you should, so keep that in mind.
- This unit can be extremely loud and annoying at high-speed setting. Which means you can’t easily clean up basement air faster unless you can handle the 65 decibels noise.
- As good as it is, this unit is extremely expensive and may not be an ideal option to consider if you’re on a budget.
Alen wants you and your loved ones to breathe nothing but clean, healthy air. And their BreatheSmart Classic air purifier allows you to do just that. It’s a well-built unit, which is easy to put together and easy to use. The scent to delivers after getting rid of dust and cleaning up air is undeniably amazing. Click here to today’s price on Amazon.
With a good rating for noise level, you can expect this unit to work well without making a lot of noise. Of course, you’ll hear some sound, especially on high-speed setting. But you can be sure that it isn’t deafening. This air purifier is a good option for different dirt types, from pet dander and pollen to fur and allergens.
When it comes to pricing, Alen BreatheSmart Classic is cheaper than IQAir HealthPro Plus. But some people, especially those on a very tight budget, may still find it expensive given that the manufacturer gives it a price tag higher than $500.
- With a dimension of 10 by 17.75 by 26.75 inches, Alen BreatheSmart Classic isn’t too big or small. But it can fit even in the most crowded basement apartment. It weighs only 21 pounds, again making it a better alternative to IQAir HealthPro Plus if weight is a concern. And if you’re someone who’s into aesthetic, this one is available in 8 color schemes.
- With a four-stage purification system, this unit can clean air in a very short time, so you can breathe quality all the time. It includes a HEPA Fresh and HEPA Odor Cell, whose work is to get rid of odor from the basement. Then, it releases clean, healthy air that you can breathe. There’s the HEPA Pure, which captures small dirt particles, including dust mites and pollen. Then there’s the HEPA Silver, sold separately, which can help you to control the growth of bacteria and mold spores in the basement.
- Apparently, the filtration system isn’t the only feature that makes this product stand out. Its ability to purify air in a basement as large as 1,100 square feet makes it a good fit for someone who owns or lives in a big basement apartment. In fact, the coverage is almost the same as that of IQAir HealthPro Plus, again making it an option to consider if you’re on a budget.
- As if that’s not enough, Alen goes even further to include a Smart Sensor to this air purifier. The innovation’s goal is simple: to detect the quality of air and display the results on the LED screen. It doesn’t stop there. The technology set the purifier in a working mode, cleaning up air so you have only what’s fresh to breathe.
- The Smart Sensor can and will help you to understand the quality of air in your room. You can be sure that as long as the device runs, it will always keep air quality in check.
- Built for large rooms and apartments, this device can purify air in a basement as big as 1,100 square feet. Plus, it’s quite during operation, especially on low-speed setting.
- This air purifier does not feature a True HEPA filter, so it might not capture a larger percentage of dust particles.
- It’s expensive and therefore may not be ideal for a basement apartment owner on a budget.
6. Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier – Best Air Purifier for Basement Apartment
Hathaspace Smart is a robust air purifier that, while inexpensive, works well like high-end models. That it’s affordable means it’s the best alternative to IQAir HealthPro Plus and Alen BreatheSmart Classic. To be clear, cost isn’t the only thing that makes this air purifier to stand out from the competition. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
First, it’s a multifunctional unit, which you can use to clean up smoke odor, pollutant, pet hair, and allergens. Second, Hathaspace Smart is the only unit on this list that features a 6-stage filtration system. Third, it’s a silent device and this means it’s a great choice for people that prefer air purifiers that don’t make noise.
- The first and obvious feature of this unit is the design. With a dimension of 13.5 by 7 by 19.5 inches, it’s not the largest and it’s not the smallest either. Best fit somewhere in between a large and a small air purifier, Hathaspace Smart weighs only 12 pounds and therefore it’s easy to move to different spots in the basement if need be.
- The unit’s filtration system is advanced, able to clean up air in 6 different stages so you can keep breathing fresh air for as long as the unit is functional. It has a Nano Cold Catalyst Filter that traps large air particles, an Antibacterial filter that handles bacteria, fungi, and viruses, a HEPA filter for up to 99% of dust particles so small to the size of 0.3 microns, and an activated carbon filter that control odor and smoke. A UV light and Ionizer filters are optional. The former further gets rid of bacteria and odor, and the former release negative ions to help purify air.
- When it comes to smart features, this air purifier has a couple of options that you’ll definitely love. The quality air sensor lets you know the quality of air in the basement so you can adjust the fan accordingly. The remote control system emulates the buttons you see on the unit, allowing you to control it wirelessly without lifting a foot. The auto mode that adjusts the fan depending on the quality of air, the timer lets you purify air at a time interval between 1 and 12 hours, and the sleep mode switches the fan to the lowest speed setting at night so you can get sleep peacefully if you choose to run the system at night.
- As far as coverage area goes, this one can purify in a room with a size not exceeding 350 square feet. So if you have a basement of this size or lower, you will find this quite handy. Of course, the coverage is smaller if you compare it to what you get from IQAir HealthPro Plus and Alen BreatheSmart Classic. But all a small basement needs is a small air purifier, simple.
- You will love this air purifier because it has a 6-stage filtration system. Overall, the system lets you clean air with ease and in internals of between 1 and 12 hours. So, you get to breathe clean air all the time.
- Even at a price less than $200, what you do take home is an air purifier with many smart features. From sleep mode and air quality sensor, this device cuts it in all ways possible.
- It has a better coverage than many models in the market. And if your basement is 350 square feet or below, this should get the air purification job done right.
- Some people may find the filters a hassle to clean, especially because one has to expose them to sunlight first.
Key Features to Look for in a Basement Air Purifier
- True HEPA Filter
If it doesn’t include a true HEPA filter, you probably shouldn’t buy it. This filter is the real deal, a powerhouse of an air purifier optimized to perform well in a basement apartment. With a true HEPA filter, you’re cleaning air thoroughly, leaving zero traces of odor and dust. And the result is clean air that everyone can breathe.
- Activated Carbon Filter
If you detest odor as I do, then you understand why an air purifier must have an activated carbon filter. This filter is a beast that does its job, and a good one at that. Combined with a true HEPA filter, dust and odor simply become nonexistent.
- Ultraviolet Light
Ultraviolet light is a subject that often raises flags. But it doesn’t have to in the case of an air purifier. In fact, the UV-C light is an important factor to consider when buying an air purifier, because it helps in the air cleaning process. By destroying DNA structure of tiny germs and pores, the light contributes a great deal to the air cleaning process.
- How do I keep the air in my basement clean?
Clean your basement as you normally would a regular house. Then get an air purifier that can help circulate pure air across the room.
- Do air purifiers work in basements?
Yes, they do. The true HEPA filter, activated carbon charcoal, and UV-C light all work together to ensure that air in the basement is clean and healthy enough to breathe.
- Should I buy a dehumidifier or air purifier?
Both devices do the same job. But an air purifier gives the best results. So I’d suggest buying the best air purifier for basement instead of a dehumidifier.