With so many air purifiers on the market, finding one that suits your needs can be challenging. Thankfully, we’ve put together this handy guide to help you choose the right one. We’ll walk you through multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), then explain how to choose an air purifier for chemicals and other allergens like dust and pet dander.
Afterward, we’ll review our top 10 picks for the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity.
- 1 Choose Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
- 2 1. IQAir GC MultiGas Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
- 3 2. Austin Air HealthMate Plus Air Purifier
- 4 3. Airpura F600 Air Purifier
- 5 4. AIRMEGA 400S Air Purifier
- 6 5. Molekule Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
- 7 6. Molekule Mini Air Purifier
- 8 7. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
- 9 8. Levoit LV-PUR131 Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
- 10 9. Blueair Classic 605 Air Purifier
- 11 10. Hathaspace HSP001 Air Purifier
- 12 Chemical Air Purifier Buying Guide
- 13 What is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity?
- 14 How to Choose Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity?
- 15 Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity – Conclusion
Choose Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
If you’re looking for an air purifier that removes chemicals and other pollutants, the IQAir GC MultiGas is your best bet. Weighing in at a hefty 35 pounds, this unit has an almost 9-foot cord powered by either electricity or a rechargeable battery. It also has a remote control to adjust settings easily across the room.
If you need more space for something significant (or don’t want such an expensive model), consider the Austin Air HealthMate Plus Air Purifier. The HealthMate Plus can be mounted onto walls or set on flat surfaces for easy cleaning around it. It’ll remove up to 99% of allergens as small as 0.3 microns from your home’s air every day for up to 30 days without needing cleaning—and it costs less than $200!
Suppose you’re looking for something slightly more affordable but effective in removing chemical compounds from your home’s air supply. In that case, one option is the Airpura F600: This model is smaller than most on this list at only 24 inches tall but still manages to cleanse spaces up to 1,000 square feet with its three filters. Its unique design makes it ideal for pets in your home since they act like a little vacuum cleaner (though it’s probably best not to put yours on turbo mode).
This model comes with two different types of filters—one pre-filter that captures larger particles before they reach their actual intended purpose, another post-filter made out of activated carbon that absorbs micronized chemicals and gases over time, as well as odors produced by pets or cooking food indoors without letting them pass through into other parts of your house where they might cause health problems like allergies or asthma attacks later down the road!
1. IQAir GC MultiGas Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
The IQAir GC MultiGas Air Purifier is the best for chemical sensitivity. It features a HEPA filter that removes 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air passing through it, including pollen, dust, and pet dander. This makes it ideal for people with chemical sensitivities to dust or mold spores and other allergens like animal dander or pollen in their homes. One thing to note is that this model does not have an activated carbon filter, so if you are sensitive to VOCs (volatile organic chemicals), there might be better choices. However, there are other versions available that do include a carbon filter – so check them out!
No products found.
- It uses a three-stage filtration system consisting of a pre-filter, HEPA filter, and active carbon filter – all housed in one compact unit that measures just 9″ wide by 20″ tall by 9″ deep (including feet). The manufacturer recommends replacing these filters every 18 months, depending on usage conditions, but I recommend checking them more frequently since they’re inexpensive ($30 each). It also comes with an optional remote control which allows you to turn off/on settings remotely without having to get up close & personal with your device.
- Overall, this product makes life much easier when trying to regulate airflow in small spaces because we don’t have any kids running around yet, but there might come a day when we do! If so, having something like this will ensure none of those little fingers inadvertently hit buttons while playing around.
- Large display.
- Multiple fan settings.
- Remote control included.
- Not very portable (It’s heavy & bulky).
- Not very quiet (The fans are loud).
2. Austin Air HealthMate Plus Air Purifier
The Austin Air HealthMate Plus is a HEPA-filtered air purifier that uses a mixture of carbon filtration and ionization to effectively remove dust, pollen, smoke, and pet dander. This model is easy to use, clean, and effective at keeping the air in your home free of allergens. A timer allows you to automatically set when you want it on or off.
It’s easy to use and simple to clean and maintain. The HealthMate Plus has a pre-filter that you should vacuum regularly, and the HEPA filter needs to be replaced every six months.
The HealthMate Plus is lightweight and portable, so it can be moved around the house as needed. The design is attractive and unobtrusive. It comes with a remote control so you can change settings while away from home or when they are not convenient to access manually.
No products found.
The Austin Air HealthMate Plus also has a five-year warranty on parts and labor and a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. If you need help with odors, the optional odor control kit may be a good option. It contains two charcoal filters and one carbon filter to remove odors from your home or vehicle. The carbon filters can also help remove cigarette smoke and pet odors so that they don’t linger in the air after smoking or cleaning up an accident.
- Easy to use.
- Quiet operation.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Quiet operation.
- Remote control.
- The HEPA filter needs to be replaced every six months.
- The pre-filter needs vacuuming regularly.
- Not suitable for large houses or multi-level homes.
3. Airpura F600 Air Purifier
The Airpura F600 is a permanent filter air purifier that uses chemical and ionic purification. It contains HEPA-style filters to remove 99.97% of all particulates down to 0.3 microns in size. It has a low-voltage design that allows for efficient operation even on the lowest settings. The unit also has three-speed settings, allowing you to choose between quiet, medium, and high fan speeds depending on your needs.
The F600 has an optional odor control kit for those who need extra help with smells like cigarette smoke or pet odors in their homes or cars.
No products found.
The unit is easy to install, with everything you need in the box for quick setup. It can be used as an air purifier or a fan and has an LED display that lets you know how much power is left in the battery. The battery takes about an hour to charge and can be used for up to four hours. The unit is portable, with a foldable handle and wheels that allow you to move it around quickly.
- The air quality sensor accurately detects fine particles and larger ones.
- It has a remote control, so you don’t have to bend down or move around too much when adjusting settings.
- The unit is quiet and practical, with three fan speeds and an odor control kit.
- It’s easy to use, portable and can be used in homes or cars.
- The battery doesn’t last as long as you might expect.
4. AIRMEGA 400S Air Purifier
The Airmega 400s is a portable air purifier used in various spaces, including cars and offices. The Airmega 400s works well for people with multiple chemical sensitivity because it uses proper HEPA filtration to remove 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air passing through the unit (for comparison, human hair is approximately 60-100 microns). The Molekule air purifiers are also popular among people with multiple chemical sensitivity; however, they do not have proper HEPA filtration, so they will not remove all of the particles from your home as effectively as an Airmega or an IQAir HealthPro Plus would.
The Airmega 400s is also a good option for people with multiple chemical sensitivities because it has a control panel, remote, and app that allows you to adjust your purifier settings from anywhere in the room. The Molekule does not have these features, so it is harder to adjust its settings while you are away from home or traveling.
No products found.
The Airmega 400s is a good option for people with multiple chemical sensitivity because it uses proper HEPA filtration to remove 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air passing through it (for comparison, human hair is approximately 60-100 microns).
The Molekule air purifiers do not have proper HEPA filtration, so they will not remove all of the particles from your home as effectively as an Airmega or an IQAir HealthPro Plus would. The Airmega 400s also has a control panel, remote, and app that allow you to adjust its settings from anywhere in the room; however, the Molekule does not have these features, so it is harder to adjust its settings while you are away from your home.
- The Airmega 400s has proper HEPA filtration and a carbon filter to remove particles from the air.
- You can control this unit using a remote or app.
- More potent than many other brands of air purifiers.
- It has a larger filter than the Molekule and can be used in rooms up to 400 square feet.
- You can adjust the settings of your Airmega 400s from anywhere in your home using a remote or app.
- Very large and may be challenging to move around.
- More expensive than other air purifiers.
- Has a relatively short filter life compared to some other brands.
5. Molekule Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
As you know, air purifiers can clean the air in your room. They use fans circulating the air through a filter or carbon media, which traps harmful gases and particles. You may not know that there are other ways to remove pollutants from your home’s atmosphere, including UV light technology like Molekule uses.
UV light breaks down VOCs (volatile organic compounds) into harmless substances like water vapor and carbon dioxide. These VOCs can cause health issues such as headaches or allergies when breathed in at high levels over long periods, so it’s essential to keep them out of your home environment as much as possible.
No products found.
Molekule uses a technology called Photo-Catalytic Oxidation, or PCO. This technology uses UV light to break down VOCs and other harmful pollutants in the air into harmless substances like water vapor and carbon dioxide. The byproducts of this process are entirely odorless and non-toxic, which means they’re safe for humans to breathe in.
- It can be used in any home environment
- It doesn’t require any filters or chemicals to operate
- There are no harmful byproducts when it’s breaking down pollutants in the air
- The UV light system is designed to last for around five years
- It can be used in small spaces like RVs, boats, and RVs
- It’s a bit expensive, at around $599 for one unit
- The system can take up to 30 days to completely clean the air in a space
- There’s no guarantee that it will get rid of all of the bad smells in your home
6. Molekule Mini Air Purifier
The Molekule Mini Air Purifier is a portable air purifier that uses a unique photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) technology. PECO converts the air in your home into an oxidizing agent, which eliminates harmful chemicals and particles, including VOCs.
Molekule is effective at removing chemicals, including VOCs. This portable air purifier can be used in any room of your house, even if you have pets or children. Its filter lasts about six months before it needs to be replaced, and the replacement filters cost $79.00 each.
The Molekule Mini Air Purifier is an excellent option for affordable and effective portable air purifiers. It’s small enough to fit in any room and can be used even if you have pets or children.
No products found.
7. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier is a chemical-free air purifier that removes odors, dust, smoke, bacteria, and viruses. The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier removes 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns (PM2.5) which are harmful to your health and can cause asthma attacks or other respiratory problems.
The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifiers use True HEPA filtration technology, which traps over 99% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size, including pollen, mold spores, and pet dander; common allergens that trigger allergic reactions in people with sensitive respiratory systems like asthma or allergies to animals/pets (cats and dogs).
No products found.
The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier uses a three-stage filtration system that removes 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns (PM2.5) which are harmful to your health and can cause asthma attacks or other respiratory problems. The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifiers use True HEPA filtration technology, which captures over 99% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size, including pollen, mold spores, and pet dander; common allergens that trigger allergic reactions in people with sensitive respiratory systems like asthma or allergies to animals/pets (cats and dogs).
8. Levoit LV-PUR131 Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity
The Levoit LV-PUR131 Air Purifier is a good choice for people with chemical sensitivities or those who want to use it in their bedroom. It is also a good choice for people who want to use it in their office. However, this isn’t the best option if you’re looking for an air purifier that’s quiet enough to use at night and won’t wake up your partner when you have it on low.
This unit has an LED display that shows the current air quality, so you can check how clean your indoor environment is without having to look at any indicators on the machine itself (i.e., no lights). It also comes with three fan settings—high, medium, and low—depending on what kind of noise level works best for your needs at any time of day! This means there’s no need to worry about disturbing others from their sleep when using this product!
No products found.
The LV-PUR131 Air Purifier is a good choice for people with chemical sensitivities or those who want to use it in their bedroom. It is also a good choice for people who want to use it in their office. However, this isn’t the best option if you’re looking for an air purifier that’s quiet enough to use at night and won’t wake up your partner when you have it on low.
9. Blueair Classic 605 Air Purifier
The Blueair Classic 605 Air Purifier is an excellent choice if you want an affordable air purifier. It has an advanced filter system that can remove the most common airborne particles in your home and office.
As you might expect from its name, this unit comes with a CADR rating of 300 for smoke and 250 for dust. This means it can effectively cleanse the air in rooms up to 300 square feet. In addition to removing odors from the air, this unit can also eliminate other harmful airborne pollutants like pet dander or pollen grains, all while being easy on your wallet.
The Blueair Classic 605 has a sleek and modern design that will look great in any room of your home or office. It has a built-in timer that automatically turns off once your desired level of cleanliness is reached, so you don’t have to worry about wasting energy. The filter requires little maintenance and can be easily cleaned with warm water and soap.
No products found.
10. Hathaspace HSP001 Air Purifier
Hathaspace HSP001 Air Purifier is a HEPA filter air purifier that can remove up to 99% of allergens, bacteria, and viruses from the air. It also has a three-stage filtration system with an activated carbon filter and ionizer.
IQAir GC MultiGas is also a HEPA filter air purifier that can remove up to 99% of allergens, bacteria, and viruses from the air. It uses an electrostatic technique and active carbon filters to eliminate harmful compounds from your home environment. It also has an optional UV light that can be used to remove mold spores. The unit has a filter life indicator that lets you know when to replace the filters.
No products found.
Chemical Air Purifier Buying Guide
If you suffer from multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), you might have difficulty finding an air purifier that is right for your needs. Fortunately, there are several things to remember when shopping for the best air purifiers for MCS sufferers.
- Firstly, ensure that the cleaner doesn’t use ozone or ionization technology. These filtration systems increase the number of negative ions in the room and can trigger symptoms in some people with MCS.
- Secondly, look at how much electricity it uses per hour while running on high fan mode—this will give you an idea of how much energy it will cost to run each month. Also, consider whether or not it has a sleep mode: many models automatically turn off after being left on all night long which may be helpful if noise keeps waking you up during slumber hours (if so).
- Finally—and most importantly—look at reviews! The best way to find out what other users think about their experiences with specific brands/models is through reading testimonials posted online by people who have bought them before; this information will give insight into whether or not they were satisfied with their purchase based upon whether there were any problems encountered along with recommendations from others who also purchased similar products from different manufacturers too.”
What is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity?
Multiple chemical sensitivity is a condition that causes you to experience adverse health effects from exposure to common chemicals and fumes. The symptoms of MCS include dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and shortness of breath.
Treatment options for MCS include avoidance of triggers (such as those listed above), dietary changes such as eliminating salt and sugar from your diet, avoiding caffeine and alcohol intake during peak times when symptoms are likely to occur (these can worsen the condition), or taking prescription medications that target specific symptoms like depression or anxiety (if they’re present).
How to Choose Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity?
When looking for an air purifier, it’s essential to consider the size of your space and what chemicals you want to remove from it. Small spaces, like bedrooms or offices, generally require a smaller machine than larger rooms, like living rooms or kitchens. If you have allergies and live in a city full of smog and pollution, your top priority should be finding an efficient filtration system with HEPA filters.
These will trap at least 99 percent of dust particles and pollen that pass through them—even if they’re invisible to the naked eye!
The next thing to consider is whether or not your air purifier comes with automatic features such as timers or motion detectors; this way, you won’t have to manually turn it on every day at 4 PM like some troglodyte who doesn’t know any better (you do). If these aren’t available on yours (or any other model), consider purchasing one separately; many companies make them now, too, so there should be no trouble finding one.
Air Purifiers for Chemical Sensitivity – Conclusion
With so many different air purifiers on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose one. But fear not! We’ve done all the hard work for you and reviewed some of our favorite options above.
Whether your home is suffering from allergies or chemical contamination, an air purifier out there will fit into your budget and help clean up those foul odors once and for all.