Are you in need of the best air purifier with a washable filter? Would you love to find an air cleaner with a permanent filter that never needs to be replaced?
Washable filters are very convenient because they can be removed and gently be washed with soap and water. If you do so, periodically, you will keep the filter clean and efficient. This enables the air purifier to continue to work at top performance year after year and saves you the hassle of having to buy filters from time to time.
Before I dissect this topic, it’s important to know the main difference between an air purifier with washable filter and the one with non-washable filter.
The main difference between the two types of air purifiers is that one has filter(s) that can be removed, washed, and returned back. On the other hand, an air purifier without filter or with a filter that is non-washable needs to have the filter replaced after every specified time.
3 Top Recommended Air purifiers with Washable Filters
|Picture||Name||Filter Type||Room Coverage||Rating [/5]|
|Picture||Name||Filter Type||Room Coverage||Rating [/5]|
|Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter||Carbon Pre + HEPA + Ionizer||360 sq. ft||4.5|
|Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier with Washable Pre-Filters||Pre-filter + Combination particle and activated carbon||540 sq.ft||4.3|
|Air Purifier - Airdog X5 Ionic Air Purifiers for Home - Quiet Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets with Washable Air Filter||Pre-filter +Ionic Wind technology||300 sq.ft||3.8|
You’ll learn more on the advantages and disadvantages of investing in an air purifier with no filter replacement in another section below. Before that comes, I need you to take your time to look at some of top-rated air purifiers in the market. I’m certain that with the information that I’ll share herein, you will be able to find the best affordable air purifier with washable filter.
Best Air Purifiers With Washable Filters Reviews
Let’s start our dissection with a review of purifiers with washable filters that are trending. This list will help you grab the ideal air purifier that you have been waiting for.
1. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier with Washable Pre-Filters– Best Air Purifier With Washable Filter
You will love this room air cleaner with two washable filters that are part of the 3-stage filtration system. Besides, this air cleaner is energy-star rated. This means you do not have to worry about your electricity bills. Click here to see latest price on Amazon.
- Blue Pure 211+ is designed to work best in medium to large sized rooms between 400 sq. ft. and 600 sq. ft. [AHAM rated at 540 sq. ft.]
- Quiet operation enabled by advanced filters that allow for a higher air flow at a lower noise level. Sound level: 31 – 56 dB(A).
- The machine’s washable filters come in different elegant colors. This will be an advantage to you if you love to match the color of items in your house to complement interior décor.
- Comes with activated carbon filter, responsible for removing common odors that are as a result of gases, pets, cooking, and wildfire smokes.
- It is light (weighing only 3.4 lbs).
- Kills 99.9% of germs, allergens, and other harmful bacteria.
- Low noise level thus ideal for working from the bedroom.
- Easy to clean.
- Hassle-free usage.
- Very easy to change the filters.
- No HEPA filters.
- Blue Pure 211+ has no timer.
- No air sensor.
2. Winix Plasmawave 5500-2 Air Purifier– Best Affordable Air Purifier With Washable Filters
Winix 5500-2 is a highest quality, best-performing purifier with innovative features. If you love hassle-free operation, convenience and excellent odor control, grab one for your home. Click here to see latest price on Amazon.
This large air purifier with washable filter is designed to offer a clean and fresh air to users. Why should you opt for Winix 5500-2? With a combination of technology and efficacy, it has a simple and stylish design inclusive of all of the basic features that customer requires. So, what more does this air cleaner have to offer?
- True-HEPA filter that captures 99.97% of contaminated air, allergens from mold spores to dust and particles down to 0.3 microns.
- It is CADR rated and designed for medium to large spaces up to 360 sq. ft.
- The PlasmaWave Technology, which is an in-built filter – breaks apart impurities at a molecular level without the emission of dangerous ozone.
- Smart Sensor gauge, which monitors the air in your home, adjust and filter the settings with a sleep mode that silently operates the unit at night.
- The hand-washable AOC Carbon Filter made from activated carbon, which has an added benefit of removing nasty household odors from the air.
- Safe to use because it is non-pollutant. No odor is emitted when it’s switched on. Therefore can’t irritate asthma or respiratory system.
- The switch modes and fan speed are easy to turn on either manually or by use of remote control. All you have to do is to set the fan speed button to run through the speeds.
- Easy to install – It involves taking off the front cover, the HEPA filters and AOC from the sealed bags, and then putting them in place.
- Relatively light, compact and easy to move from one room to the other.
- It has a sleek exterior design, which blends in with other electronics without dominating the space visually.
- Electromagnetic interference from certain electronics may cause product malfunction.
3. Airdog Air Purifier X5 Ionic Air Purifiers for Home – Best Air Purifier With Washable Filter
Is the air in and around your home polluted? Airdog X5 air purifier helps stop inhaling indoor air pollutants and breathe cleaner air. It saves time, money, and is energy-efficient and waste free. It has an ionic wind filtration technology that makes it virtually silent. Click here to see latest price on Amazon.
- Ionic wind penetration technology making it virtually silent.
- Reusable Filter for Allergen, Dust, Pet, odor, smoke and moulds (14.6nm Level)
- Eco-friendly- Washable/ No filter replacement.
- Smart design: 6 Operating modes/ Child lock/ V-0 Fire Proof Material.
- Low noise- Build-In sensor.
- Smart and easy to operate- Initiates with the push of a button and auto-adjusts to different modes based on your room’s air quality level.
- Measures 25.59 (H) x 12.44 (L) x 12.05 (W).
- Weighs 23.59 lbs.
- Max Input Power: 60W.
- Uses the best class DC brushless motor. Its carefully designed aerodynamic flow path enables 360 degrees circulation and 200 cubic feet of clean air per minute.
- Night mode for light sleepers. You can hardly hear it running at night mode.
- Keeps your air clean but without display lights and fan noise.
- Puts your health first by killing 99.9% of all household germs.
- Cost effective.
- Powerful and quite.
- No filters to replace on a regular basis
- Can wash the collector plate in the dishwasher.
- Power cord is short.
- Bigger than many air purifiers.
Honeywell HFD-120-Q has an outstanding performance of circulating air 5 times while capturing airborne particles from the air through washable filters. Click here to see latest price on Amazon.
- Honeywell HFD – 120-Q comes with permanent filters that are Energy Star Certified.
- It has an electronic filter, which checks and indicates when the filters need to be washed.
- This product has an on/off Oscillation control, which allows easy operation.
- Honeywell HFD – 120-Q has permanent energy efficient filters that captures up to 99.9% of the airborne particles.
- Particle reduction ability depends on the pollutants in the room/surrounding area and the amount of air processed.
- It can take up to 12 hours before it automatically shuts off.
- Visibility of a touch screen that easily helps you to operate.
- Honeywell HFD – 120-Q is energy efficient thus capable of servicing small to large rooms.
- It’s quiet and easy to use.
- Honeywell HFD – 120-Q quietly entraps particles without any disruption to flow of air around.
- The product’s portability features enable you to move it from one room to another depending on where you want air cleaned.
- Honeywell HFD – 120-Q washable feature helps you save money. Unlike other purifiers that you have to replace the appliance every time, with this you just wash the filters.
- Normally, it emits unpleasant smell when it heats.
Honeywell AirGenius 5 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer 250 sq ft is one of the most advanced air purifier ever designed. It captures up to 99.9% microscopic particles even as small as 0.3 microns. Click here to see latest price on Amazon.
- It comes with 2 optional pre-filters; washable foam and an odor reducing pre-filter, specially designed in helping capture particles before entering the iFD filter.
- With its quiet operation, Honeywell AirGenius 5 has 5 air levels of operation, sleep setting (which is nearly silent in operation), seasonal allergen, germ reduction, general and maximum cleaning settings, depending on your cleaning needs, which make the setting process easier.
- Honeywell AirGenius 5 Air Purifier has a filter indicator that alerts you when it needs cleaning.
- Honeywell AirGenius has a AHAM certification that confirms it can be used in large rooms of up to 250 square feet.
- Honeywell AirGenius 5 is a CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) certified product with the following values:
- Tobacco smoking.
- It’s energy star rated.
- The amount of energy Honeywell AirGenius 5 uses is same as that of a standard lighting bulb.
- Sleek in design.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty.
- It’s made of a Permanent washable iFD filter.
- The pre-filter needs replacement at least every month.
- It emits a plastic like odor when heated.
- The e-motor that drives the fans in the Honeywell AirGenius 5 is saved on the bearings on top and bottom, which sometimes makes it loss balance thus causing noise.
Blue Pure 411 air purifier with washable HEPA filter is quiet. You will not find a problem using it in your bedroom while you are asleep. Click here to see latest price on Amazon.
- The machine’s washable pre-filter is bestowed with the ability to capture large debris, air particles, smoke, dust, allergens and even completely remove wildfire smoke odor.
- Activated carbon is responsible for filtering off all bad smells from your kitchen.
- Ideal for small and medium rooms (100 sq ft to 175 sq ft).
- Useful in offices and nurseries.
- Has 3-part air filtration system.
- Energy star rated thus does not consume a lot of electricity.
- Easy to operate.
- Low noise thus ideal for use in the bedroom.
- Easy-to-read and understand user manual.
- The purifier comes with 3 bright LED lights that do not automatically switch off. This is not good in the bedroom during the night.
7. Oreck AIRPCB Professional Permanent Filter With Optional Ionizer (Black) – Best Air Purifier With Permanent Filter
Oreck AIRPCB Professional Permanent Filter With Optional Ionizer and quiet operation is a top-tier luxury product from the world’s top designers to your front door! I haven’t seen many air purifiers that come with a fragrance and ionizer feature. You need to consider this air purifier with permanent filter for that among other reasons. Click here to see latest price on Amazon.
- Build with 3 speeds.
- Has an optional ionizer that is helpful in collecting tiny airborne particles together for easy filtration.
- Comes with fragrance dispenser.
- Lifetime filter with an alarm to let you know when the filter is faulty.
- Equipped with energy-efficient bulbs.
- Quiet operation.
- This product works efficiently – no hard labor needed when operating it.
- Easy to operate.
- Quiet performance for those who prefer to use it in their bedroom.
- Saves you a lot of electricity thanks to energy-efficient bulbs and sizeable power motor.
- Follows orders to a tee when cleaning the air in your home. For example, it will capture and destroy germs at the filtration stage.
- The ionizer provides you with extra freshness to your home by allowing smaller airborne particles to assemble for them to be trapped easily by the filter.
- It is easy to maintain – has a washable, lifetime filter that continuously alerts you to clean them. This prevents it from damages that may be costly to repair.
- The three-speed tabletop design works efficiently for small rooms such as the offices, bedrooms among others.
- Perfectly combines the balance of high performance and quiet operation.
- It may under-perform sometimes not providing all the purifying effects as claimed by the manufactures.
- The purifier filter needs to be changed periodically for it to function optimally.
Are Washable HEPA Filters As Effective?
While it is true that an air purifier whether it comes with replaceable filters or permanent filters perform the same job, it is important to know that some work better.
In simple terms, a washable air purifier will save you a lot of time, money, and the hassle of finding an expert and the right spare part to replace.
It is also true that most washable air filters are made of plastic. But, did you also know that some washable filters actually last more than 10 years? Yes, do not be shocked. Quality washable filters last longer.
Washable filters are very effective when and if you know how to use them. For instance, if you want your washable filter last, ensure the purifier is in use regularly. This helps metallic or hard plastic parts of the machine to avoid unnecessary dampness. Remember that dampness leads to rust and corrosion.
Besides, enough time is needed between cleaning a washable filter and replacing it back. Because of a tight schedule, some people have a tendency of quickly washing the filter and replacing it back before it is actually dry. This lowers the washable filter’s lifespan.
So, yes, washable HEPA filters are as effective as other quality non-washable filters. In fact, they are way beyond most non-washable filters because you can clean them anytime you feel the machine has done much work. With other types, you have to wait until the alarm alerts you of a problem.
Washable & Permanent Filters: Pros and Cons
Asthma medication can be expensive if you don’t have health insurance coverage and the washable filter comes in handy because you’ll be in a position to maintain them on a regular basis. Therefore, investing in a washable air purifier is not only wise but also an ingenious way to save money
As the name points out, a washable filter is a kind of filter whereby you can use water and soap to clean and remove the pollutants that the filter has gathered.
The cleaning process takes a few minutes that involve soaking, whisking, and rinsing to get the result that will allow you to re-use the filter again.
Filters are a significant part of your purifier. The washable filters are to be cleaned after use to remove the dust and prolong its life. They need to be checked regularly and the replacement of the filters is allowed.
Air purifiers with washable filters are easy to maintain as you are allowed to clean it yourself, dry it and then re-use after cleaning. These are said to be the best because after cleaning them, the quality of the air in the room increases.
Washable And Permanent Filters
So, what are the pros and cons of using air purifiers with washable and permanent filters?
- They are environmentally friendly. If you clean the filters regularly and completely, these filters can last for more than five years. The demand for production is lowered hence the earth resources are saved.
- Reusable filters are in a position to attract all kinds of dirt, pollen, dander, or spores.
- You save money because you don’t need to buy new filters.
- Filter maintenance is fast so you won’t waste a lot of time in maintenance.
- You have the benefit of cleaning the filters anytime you feel like. Out of this, you increase efficiency.
- Electrostatic filters can save you a lot of time looking for difficult-to-find filter sizes.
- Washable air filters give you better convenience. If you are not scared of dust, you’ll just need to clean using water and some competent filter cleaner, rinse and let it dry.
- Some reusable filters are not effective at removing airborne particles larger than 2 microns. Seizing bacteria, spores, viruses, and allergens with these filters can be hard.
- Using reusable filters to clean larger rooms makes the filters dirty quickly and this means that regular cleaning will be required.
- Regular cleaning may damage the filters and this makes it work slower than when it was new.
- Reusable filters can attract mold if after cleaning you don’t give them time to dry off.
Key Factors To Consider Before Buying Washable/Permanent Filters
Before coming up with a concrete decision as to why you need washable and permanent filters, there are factors to consider.
1. Use and execution level- As most air purifiers cannot cover air pollutants below 2 microns, you need to ensure that it can purify and at what percentage it can reach.
2. Coverage area – One of the most important factors to put into consideration when buying an air purifier is the coverage area.
You need to know your own space in a square foot and compare it with the manufactures recommended coverage area. Air purifiers structured with permanent filter covers only small and medium-sized spaces up to 200 square feet.
3. Energy consumption – As air purifiers are meant to work around the clock, you need to check on the one with the energy star certified so as to cut costs.
4. Easy to clean and maintain – Washable filters are easy to clean and maintain because you just need water and soap to clean. On permanent filters, you’ll need to vacuum it and re-use it thereafter. To be on the safer side, it is recommended that you check on the user manual to know what it entails.
5. Cost – There are many types of washable and permanent filters in the market today. To be on the safer side you are required to look out for featured and performance level of the product.
6. Noise level – When air purifiers are on higher settings, they can make a lot of noise. To curb the unnecessary noise, you need to opt for one with 30-40 decibels on its highest setting.
Although many people tend to discredit air purifiers, I believe those who feel so have not used the best air purifier with washable filter. They won’t regret. You do not need to be like them. Do whatever you can to save your family’s resources, keep them health, and give them a cleaner environment. You will be a happy person upon finding out that you are using the best quality air purifier with washable filter.